Code of Ethics
All chapters of Clowns Without Borders throughout the world adhere to a similar Code of Ethics
These principles provide artists and teachers with the following common framework of understanding in regards to their conduct in the field as well as the ethics of Clowns Without Borders:
- Performances are the principal activity of Clowns Without Borders. Other artistic activities may be undertaken.
- The principal beneficiaries of Clowns Without Borders will be the children who live in crisis situations and their respective communities.
- Clowns Without Borders interventions shall always be free for the audience and/or participants.
- When performing the artists shall not discriminate against members of the public on the grounds of ethnicity, gender, age, religion, culture, social situation or any other differentiating category.
- Participating artists shall be volunteers and they may be paid when performing for Clowns Without Borders within their own country. In countries where basic living needs are not provided for by this work and/or governmental support, the sections may provide the artist with a stipend.
- Participating artists shall not use the humanitarian activities of Clowns Without Borders to promote their professional careers.
- Participating artists shall not use Clowns Without Borders activities to impose personal points of view upon audiences. Artists will not attempt to educate the population, and shall refrain from proselytism of any type.
- Participating artists shall take into account the sensibility of the public, as well as their culture and the delicate situation in which they are living, when choosing the contents of their performances and workshops.
- Participating artists, when working with Clowns Without Borders projects, see and share difficult situations throughout the world. As Clowns Without Borders is not a political organization, if artists would like to give public testimonies of their experiences, they must always make it explicitly clear that Clowns Without Borders does not express any political views, nor takes any side in a conflict, and that the opinions given are a personal and are based on personal experiences.
- As representatives of Clowns Without Borders in the field, during performances and when in contact with the public, participating artists shall remain clowns and performing artists, and this is our principal method of intervention.
- The artists of Clowns Without Borders shall respect laws, norms and cultural customs in the countries that they visit.
- In order to obtain economic support Clowns Without Borders shall remain attentive to the ethical values and the to the respect for human rights of our sponsors and partners.